Finally on vinyl, the King Crimson 40th anniversary albums mixed and produced by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp.
- Cut from the same hi-res masters used for the 40th anniversary CD/DVD-A series
- Pressed on 200gram super-heavyweight vinyl for the best possible audio reproduction
- King Crimson is on tour in the UK in from end of October into November, with the current band playing much of the material on these albums
- Boxed set contains the band’s first four classic albums plus a 2LP set of rarities including a complete alternate version of “In the Court of the Crimson King” mixed and produced by Steven Wilson and featuring artwork as originally presented in “The Young Person’s Guide to King Crimson”
– the band’s first, 1975 issued, compilation.
- Set also contains a full sized replica of the King Crimson timeline booklet as originally presented with that 1975 compilation
- King Crimson 1969 – 1972 presents the band’s first four albums plus a 2LP set of rarities from the same period in a deluxe boxed set configuration.
The albums: “In the Court of the Crimson King”, “In The Wake of Poseidon”*, “Lizard” and “Islands” are presented in the 40th anniversary edition mixes as mixed and produced by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp in 2009 and 2010. This is the first time that these mixes have appeared on vinyl*.
All albums are presented in their original sleeves.
Additionally, a 2LP set of rarities is included (track-listing below) – many of them mixed and produced by Steven Wilson and all new to vinyl, except for the single, ‘Catfood’. “The Alternative Guide to King Crimson” is presented in the gatefold artwork originally used for the 1975 compilation “The Young Person’s Guide to King Crimson”.
A full sized replica of the original King Crimson timeline booklet which accompanied that compilation is also included.
All albums are pressed using 200gram super heavyweight vinyl for the best audio reproduction.
The albums were cut at Loud Mastering by Jason Mitchell from original hi-res sources as prepared by Steven Wilson and approved by Robert Fripp.
*excluding ‘The Devil’s Triangle, presented in original 1970 mix for as multi-track tapes no longer exist for this track
Track-listing: The Alternative Guide to King Crimson
1 21st Century Schizoid Man (instrumental, trio version)
2 I Talk to the Wind (studio run through)
3 Epitaph (alt. instrumental version)
1 Moonchild (take 1)
2 The Court of the Crimson King (take 3, instrumental)
3 I Talk to the Wind (duo version)
4 Cadence and Cascade (guide vocal, Greg Lake)*
5 Peace - An End (alt. mix)*
All tracks Mixed and Produced by Steven Wilson except
* Produced by Robert Fripp and Peter Sinfield
1 Cat Food (single version)
2 Groon (2010 mix)
3 Indoor Games (alt. take)
4 Lady of the Dancing Water (alt. take)*
5 Prince Rupert Awakes (piano, Keith Tippett)
6 Prince Rupert's Lament (alt take)
1 Produced by Robert Fripp and Peter Sinfield.
2, 4 Mixed and Produced by Steven Wilson 3 Produced by
David Singleton and Alex R Mundy 6 Produced by Jakko Jakszyk
1 A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls
2 Sailor's Tale (alt guitar takes)
3 Ladies of the Road (remix)
4 Prelude: Song of the Gulls (string section, take 2)
5 Islands (run through with oboe prominent)
1 Mixed and Produced by Steven Wilson 2 Mixed by Alex R Mundy
3 Produced and Mixed by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy
4, 5 Produced by Robert Fripp and Peter Sinfield
All tracks/versions previously unreleased on vinyl except Side 3, Track 1